Thursday, April 9, 2009

Leggy magical brunettes in fishnets.

That's right. It's late and Amanda is fast asleep, but I'm all hopped up on cotton candy and chocolate-covered Oreos. Yeah, I'm a bit of a sugar junkie. Anyways, my brain is on fire, but in the good way. I just thought I'd talk about one of my favorite comic characters, as well as touch on my art collection.
This little number was done by a buddy of mine, well two of them technically. Lew on pencils and George on the inks. Though it was George's first time inking somebody else's work, I think it turned out pretty awesome. I've always had this fascination with magic and the occult. Nothing too heavy like I sacrificed the neighborhood cats or anything, but something about just seemed, well, un-natural. I LOVED stage magicians though, and around the time I was...either 12 or 13, I learned about Zatanna Zatara. I just thought she was perfect. I mean, what's not to love about her?


This was a quick little sketch I picked up at NYCC this past year. Cully knocked it out in, what had to be, two minutes. It's funny. I bought two of the most important people in my life pieces from him (George's Futurist piece, seen here and Amanda's Velma right here), but I haven't gotten anything. So I waited in line and originally asked for Madame Mirage (I was on a Top Cow kick), but he didn't have a reference, so I said Zatanna.



Ted Naifeh SERIOUSLY hooked me up when he did this number. She's simply my favorite sketch in my sketch book. Currently that is. I know he has something planned for me at the FX Show in Orlando later this month. I am all sorts of excited. I LOVE the Lily Munster thing she has going on. I tried cleaning the page up since it was a dirty, but it just ended up making blotches. Meh. You get idea.


Fiona Staples did this little number as well in NYCC. We had exchanged emails since I saw her Zatanna redesign that is so out there, you have to see it for yourself. She was very polite and just all-around awesome. Her stuff be here! (I'd upload a picture to showcase it, but there seems to be something wrong with that.)



Enough cannot be said about Phil Noto's style. It may come off as too angular and downright pointy for some, but the way how he just flows a pencil over the page and then inks? Ugh. It's just sickening somebody has this much talent. He actually did a pencil sketch last February at the now defunct Atlanta Comic Expo, or simply ACE. I didn't have any money since my wallet was stolen RIGHT before we got there. Yeah. Bad timing, right? Well anyways, I literally ran into him at NYCC and he informed me he would be at this year's MegaCon in Orlando. I gave it to him to ink and he knocked it out. I thought about going to him again for some grayscale, but not sure about that just yet.



And finally, my Cal Slayton. Well not really finally. I have one more Zatanna piece, but it's freaking huge. George did it for Christmas and his fiance was glad he was finally done with it since he had been working on it since Halloween. I digress. Cal Slayton. Man. This guy is just killer. I had seen a piece he had done on comicartfans.com and I just wanted one for myself. I had him do a simple pose used by a Vargas model, and then later he added the stool. I was blown away. And it's pretty big too. It looks awesome hanging in my office. I just ordered something else from him and we shall see how that fairs later, yes?

I'm sure we all have our characters we just can't get enough of. Ms. Z is definitely one of mine, if not THE one. Take my former room for example:



Yeah. I'm kooky like that. And yes, that is an Alex Ross Zatanna poster signed, as well as a Mark Brooks print, an ACE program (with Zatanna by Adam Hughes on it), and another collaboration of Lew and George: Zatanna wishing me a happy birthday via a magical cake. Now THAT one I'll have to scan sometime. Along with that is a print of the Detective Comics cover by Dustin Nguyen. That guy has a stupid amount of talent as well.

Pretty nice, huh?

No comments: