Tuesday, July 14, 2009

100th post! So we have a review of Unwritten #3 and a bit of a rant about GL movie!

Wow. 100. I've only had this blog for about a year and a half. I still marvel at the fact about what an incredible year it's been. Ups and downs, but still, I think this will be the year that defines me for the rest of my life.

and with that...



The Unwritten #3
Written by Mike Carey
Art by Peter Gross
Colors by Chris Chuckry and Jeanne McGee
Letters by Todd Klein
Cover by Yuko Shimizu
Published by Vertigo


There are few books out there now that I read on the way home after I leave my shop. Even fewer are the books that have captured my attention like this title has. . . especially for a book only three issues in. Mike Carey is no stranger to this sort of genre, writing for other Vertigo books including Hellblazer, Sandman, and Lucifer. The thing about The Unwritten is that it feels sort of grounded compared to his work about the Divine, but still has elements of wonder and magic. If you haven't started reading this series, I say it's time you begin. Let me give you the rundown: it's about a man whose father was a prolific fantasy writer and based his main character on his son, Tom. Now, Tom's father disappears and all the stories that his father wrote may actually be true. The way these issues work almost kills me with their cliffhangers, because they are honestly-- just THAT good. In each issue, we discover more about the world of Tommy Taylor and Mike Carey's imagination feels like it has no bounds. Having said that, this particular issue takes a different route than the previous two.

Now don't worry, it still plays out wonderfully. But this time around, it's a little more low-key than the previous installments. Tom travels to the Villa Diodati with other popular horror writers to discuss horror and its nuances. It's the "House of Frankenstein," it's also the house where Tom spent some time as a youth. There are flashbacks of Tom and his father and how their relationship reflects a scene earlier in the issue when the group of authors discuss Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" and whether it's a social parable or something else. Tom does a bit of detective work and discovers a safe behind one of his father's old paintings. After a few guesses, he gets the combination right and inside he discovers a mysterious note and the doorknob to his father's old room. Meanwhile, one of the horror writers goes outside to smoke a joint and is soon murdered. Now the killer is creeping towards the legendary manor.

Just because you think this book has to do with a boy wizard messiah, does not mean it's meant for children. It's written for mature readers, as well as readers with enough intelligence to understand and appreciate the literary references and obscure slang. The dialogue is crisp and Peter Gross' art accompanies it quite well. As I mentioned earlier, this issue takes the story a bit slower, but after the first two issues of Carey constructing this world, an issue of character-building isn't so bad and is understandable. This book is easily one of the best on the market now, with its interesting characters and intriguing story. The best part is, it's only three issues in, so those of you who haven't caught on, it's fairly easy to start now.



So yes, it is that good, people. So, I had sent Mike Carey the link to this week's Best Shots column and he got back to me thanking me for the kind and eloquent words. Awww yeah. Nothing warms my nerd heart more than a compliment by the creator/artist/writer/colorist...ANYBODY from a book that I reviewed.


Now on to more pressing things at hand: Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan.



Where's the "dislike" button for this? Maybe this will be the Michael Keaton situation of this generation. I mean, when Heath was cast as the Joker, everybody was up in arms. Though not me for some reason. I trusted Nolan, and I trusted the vision, especially after they had said they are basing him on Ultraviolent Alex from "A Clockwork Orange". Though here we have Reynolds: a good-looking, athletic guy with charisma up the yin-yang...but I just don't think he has what it takes to fill Hal's ring.

Now, I admit, I can be mistaken and will be blown away by next year when we see some trailers and etc. And if so, I will easily apologize. Until then? I'm going to hate on this.

Hater's gotta hate...

No comments: