Saturday, February 12, 2011

X-Men: First Class trailer



I am sure you've seen this by now.

It is the first bit of a teaser trailer of the upcoming X-Men: First Class, which comes out this June. Fanboy rage and concern could be heard around the world when an unauthorized image was leaked, which pissed director Matthew Vaughn to no end. I have to admit, I'm still a bit skeptical to say the least. If there's one thing that Fox knows how to do, it is cut a trailer to make the most blandest and outright worst thing look like gold dipped in mithril. Perfect example of this is X3.

Of course, that is what a trailer is supposed to do. It's supposed to lock you in and make you WANT to see the movie. Does it work here? Absolutely. However, I don't simply ignore the following facts:

- Why are we now seeing Beast transform here into his blue fur? Yes, it was hinted he was an X-Men earlier on in X3, but in X2, he is still Hank McCoy. Human, but a guy with a stocky build.

- There are two Emma Frosts? January Jones is playing the White Queen, Emma Frost, who also makes an appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I didn't think it was the same character, but imdb confirmed that so it's not just simply a girl with the same name and the same powers. Nope. Same character. Different timeline.

- While I do like the blue and gold costumes (though they were originally black and gold, much like how Spider-Man is red and black), it still looks a bit too modern for having taken place in the 1960's. Vaughn has stated on more than once occurrence that this film will have homages and have a certain "early James bond vibe". I'm just not feeling it or seeing it here. I do like the fact that there is a missile crisis, similar to X-Men #1.

- I only wished they had just rebooted the franchise and given us an original 5 X-Men first class movie. Jean Grey in an a-line dress? Yes please. Instead we get lesser-known characters I really could care less about? Darwin? Possibly Pixie? Azazel? I guess that's okay. I just think there are going to be a lot of leftover figures from this lot on toy shelves.

I mean, nitpicking aside, it does look great and as an X-fan, I am genuinely curious, but I'm going in with a cautious mind. I love the music they chose for it, it's not in your face and over the top dramatic, but still caries a subtle dramatic tone.

Thoughts on the first trailer?

No comments: